Registering .Edu Domain Names
Typically, United Nations Commerce department controls domain names ending with .edu. Later, in the year 2001, the task of managing the domain names shifted to the Educause, which is functioning as a nonprofit organization. The fundamental prerequisite for cheapest domain registration of domain names ending with .edu domain name is that you need to represent an educational institution, working in conformity with the standards set by the United states Department of Commerce.
Registering a .edu domain name for an educational institution
- Search and locate a most suitable .edu website. Select the .edu eligibility link. You need to evaluate the requirements carefully to ensure that you are falling in the right category of institution and meet the standards set by the US department of commerce to qualify for the domain name ending with .edu.
- Navigate to the Domain name availability link in the reference section to make sure that the domain name you want is currently available. For this, you need to enter the name you wish to include in the .edu Domain Name Availability Lookup text box displayed towards the bottom of the page. If the domain name is not available, you need to select another domain name ending with .edu. If it is available, you will be directed to another page.
- Choose Request This Domain button to start the domain name registration. You will be then guided to a page titled Is Your Institution Eligible. You need to search for your institution by name, city and state and then search by accrediting agency. Finally, you need to search by institutions outside United States.
- Choose your institution name after clicking the Search button. In case, your institution does not appear in the search, ensure that you are accredited by one of the approved accreditation agencies. In the new page, create a new password and follow the onscreen prompts. Usually, you will be asked to re-enter the password and then click Next.
- Make sure that the address that shows up for your institution is correct and click Next. Carry on with these steps until you reach the final page. Check through the information entered and choose the Submit button. Educause will then send your application for review and verification. Once approved, you can get the .edu domain name.
It is imperative on the part of you to meet the required criteria prior to the cheapest domain registration. If you need to be on the right track to enhance higher education through your institution, make use of the .edu domain name.